Things to Avoid:
- “Why” Questions
- Stories about yourself
- “Yes” or ”No” Questions
Things to Practice:
- Open-ended Questions
- Reflective Listening
(“So it sounds like…”, “I hear you saying that…”)
- Locating emotions
(“How did you feel when…”)
- Locating beliefs
(“What belief did this stem from…?”)
- Locating choices
(“What choice did you make…?)
Listening to Jesus together:
- How does His story impact this situation?
- What is your true identity in Christ?
- What would your life in the kingdom of God look like if you trusted Him here?
- How have you been finding relief?
- How is Jesus inviting you into relationship?